NOTE: With the universal Zebra drivers now available on Mac OS X, installing the CUPS driver is no longer required to support Zebra printers.
However, in the rare case that you have issues with using the universal Zebra drivers, you can still use the the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) driver with raw printing to print to Zebra printers.
Installing the CUPS driver
- Open your web browser.
- Enter http://localhost:631/printers/ into the URL field.
- If you receive a message that Web Interface is Disabled, then you must enable it. Start by copying the 'cupsctl WebInterface=yes' command that's displayed in your browser.
- Open the Terminal application on your computer, and then paste the cupsctl WebInterface=yes command into the Terminal command line. When you're done, press Return.
- Click on your open browser, and refresh the Web Interface is Disabled page. It will display theCUPS page instead.
- rom the CUPS page, click the Home tab.
- Click Adding Printers and Classes.
- In the Printers section, click Add Printer.
- If you're asked to enter a user ID and password, use the same credentials that you use to log-in to your computer. After you log in, the Administration page appears.
- If you've already turned on and plugged in your Zebra printer, it will appear in the list, e.g a GC420d printer, may appear as Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d (Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d) in the Local Printers section. If you haven't connected your printer yet, turn it on now, plug it into your computer using the included USB cable, and then refresh your browser.
- Select Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d (Zebra Technologies ZTC GC420d), and then clickContinue.
- Review the information on the Add Printer page, and then click Continue.
- Select 'Another Make / Manufacturer, then Select 'Raw' and then Add printer
- Add Class, then add ZebraRawClass and select the Raw Printer added above for the Class
Detecting the Raw Printer in OrderCup
Once the ZebraRawClass is added, then follow the steps below to detect and save the printer in OrderCup.
- Ogin to OrderCup, then navigae to Settings --> User --> Printers.
- Make sure OC Direct is running, and click the 'Detect all available printers' button.
- Select the ZebraRawClass from the list of printers and set theType to Thermal and the Format to EPl2 or ZPLII as appropriate, and check the appropriate checkboxes for what will be printer to this printer - Label, PS and Customs Form.
Print a test page
After you have installed the Common Unix Printing System (CUPS) driver, you can print a test page:
- Open your web browser.
- Enter http://localhost:631/printers/ into the URL field, and press Return.
- Click the name of the printer you want to test.
- From the Maintenance drop-down menu, select Print Test Page. and verify it prints correctly.