Which USB scales are supported?
Short answer: Most, but we’ve specifically tested the four scales listed below .
We have developed our scale integration to work with most USB scales. However, we have tested the following scales:
- Mettler Toledo PS Series (PS15, PS30, PS60, ....)
- Dymo M Series (M10, M25, ....)
- Fairbanks Series (SCB-R9000-144, ...)
- Stamps.com (Model 510, Model 2510, ...)
Note: If your USB scale is not working with OrderCup, please send us the scale make and model, so we can add it to the 'Unsupported scales' list.
We will no longer offer technical support for “Serial” connected electronic scales. However, the current functionality will stay in place. In other words, if it works, great; otherwise, replace it with a USB scale. (By the way, if your Serial scale is supplied by UPS or FedEx, they will most likely replace it with a USB scale at no charge).
Step 1: Initial setup
- Install OC Direct if you have not already done so. For instruction on how to install OC Direct, click here. Note that you will need to have Java installed first in order to install O Direct.
- Go to Settings --> User --> Scale, select Enable Scale and USB scale options, then click “Detect USB scale.
- You may get a browser popup or dialog box that will ask you to allow OC Direct your permission to connection to your computer. Please make sure you select the allow and remember the decision.
- When your scale name is displayed in the dropdown box, click “Save”
- Wait for a few seconds, and then click on the “Test scale” link. You will see a message that indicates success.
Step 2: Ongoing use
Whenever you are on the “Ship” page, OrderCup will automatically capture and insert the scale reading into the “Weight” field, and will even replace any “calculated weight”.
NOTE: It is important the you have you weight field set to have the weight entered in decimal lbs for the weight to be read correctly. See the troubleshooting tips below.
Troubleshooting: Setup was fine but scale is not capturing weights on the Ship page
- If you have two weight fields, one for Lbs and one for Oz, you should change it so that you have only one weight field. To do so, go to Settings --> Shipments and in the dropdown for "Shipping weight units", choose 'Pounds' (not 'Pounds and Ounces'), and Save.
- Another common fix is to simply power your scale on and off, and that does the trick.
- It could also be a permission issue. Make sure you have given permission to the browser to for Oc Direct to connect.
Time saving tips:
- How to deal with a slow scale: Some scales (we’ve noticed the Dymo, for example) may be slow in responding to OrderCup’s commands for a “stabilized reading”. To minimize this wait time, place your package on the scale before you get to the “ship” page, so that by the time all the shipping variables are loaded, OrderCup will have captured the weight reading.
- How to do a temporary manual override: Often, you may need to temporarily override the automated scale reading. To do so, in the “ship” page itself, click on the “Disable scale” link (situated next to the weight field). Now manually enter your weight and process your package. The next time, click on the “enable scale” link, and you are back in automated mode.